Took the car up to Foerst Motorwerks today… it looks like the heat-shrink fell victim to the severe heat of the TMS World Challenge headers. The wiring for the O2 sensors came in contact with itself, which explains the intermittent nature of the problem. It was SERIOUSLY a pinhole size hole in the heat-shrink.WORST. TIMING. EVER.I bought some new Bosch O2 sensors, and Matt got it all wired up and back in running order. I haven’t tried to pull those ABS fuses again to allow use of my MAX hydro-brake… I will wait until after the event on Saturday to mess with it. The car seems to be running in tip-top shape… AND – the SES light is OFF?!?!
My carbon fiber roof spoiler went flying off the car in-tow to Road Atlanta. Who knows were it fell off, or if it is in one piece. That wing looked so rad. I miss it. I want to get another one… but the mounting point had such a minimal contact patch with the glass that it was hard to keep it on there well. I’m not surprised it fell off… especially since I was doing 90 to get to tech on time.
On a whim… I decided I wanted to re-wire my strobe switches, and mount my gauges in the dash. I made the old switch panel and the gauge cluster out of a sheet of carbon fiber many years back. When I bought the VDO gauges back in 2005… Summit sent me the wrong sending units, and I never got around to ordering the correct ones. The cluster has laid dormant in my garage ever since.This is basically what I started with. I pulled the center dash console, made a quick Home Depot run for some brackets and solder, and snagged some metal toggles from Auto ZoneThis didn’t take long. I like this setup much better than the carbon fiber plate that used to sit in the ashtray. This is much more solidOnto the gauge cluster install… I snagged some aluminum from Home Depot, and cut it to line up with the back of the carbon fiber that holds the gaugesDrilled matching holes in the aluminum, and the consolePop-riveted them into placeThe right side had to be Dremel’d out with a cutting wheel, because it had an angled edge that the left side didn’t haveDremel’d two of the tabs slightly to allow for a flush fitmentThen I cut one of the brackets to size, and bolted it to the aluminum platernYou can see where this is goingrnRiveted the cluster to the bracketrnRe-wired the strobe switches to the control module, and installed the entire center console back in the carrn